Took some time for some IR photography at West Coast Park. It is a convenient place for me as it is so near my workplace and the childcare centre for my children.
I picked up IR photography after I came across flickr IR pictures by Tito Verano. I emailed him for tips and he gladly shared his knowledge with me:
- Colour -> Level -> Set to Auto
- Switch the red and blue channel using channel mixer ( red: 0 red, 0 green, 100.0 blue; blue: 100.0 red, 0 green, 0 blue)
- Further enhance the blue sky using channel mixer (red: 150.0 red, -25 green, -25 blue; blue: -25 red, -25 green and 150.0 blue)
- Fine tune the blue sky with Colour balance and Hue
Other important points about IR photography I discovered along the way:
- To prevent having a bright blob in the middle of the image, shoot wide open (i.e max aperture)
- Always shoot in raw and play around with the white balance using the white balance colour picker. Getting the white balance ‘right’ will produce a nice blue sky after step 3 above with minimal tweaks using Colour balance and Hue.